R2C2H2 Art

Subtitle

Web Store

"New Testament: The Crucifixion & Resurrection Of Homer G. Phillips" (2014)

$20.00

W.E. A.L.L. B.E. TV: The MEaning BEhind The Art: R2C2H2 Tha Artivist Explains "New Testament: The Crucifixion & Resurrection Of Homer G. Phillips"~2/22/2014

 

 

 

WATCH VIDEO:

 

 

 

 

http://youtu.be/uZ27ujUclDI

 

***

 

About Homer G. Phillips

 

 

 

(Sunrise 4/1/1880-Sunset 6/18/1931)

 

Prominent St. Louis Lawyer Homer G. Phillips led a successful grassroots effort in the 1920s that forced the city of St. Louis to allocate funds to build a respectable hospital for Black St. Louis...Homer G. Phillips was also a well respected Black leader within the Black St. Louis community who was very visible, vocal and active in the political arena and in the service of his people on a daily basis…He paid for those valiant efforts with his life…After leaving his home at 1121 Aubert Avenue, near Fountain Park, on the morning of June 18, 1931, Homer G. Phillips was assassinated while waiting for a downtown streetcar on Delmar Blvd. by two Black assailants…One of the assailants punched him while the other or maybe both shot him at point blank range…

 

Supposedly the police quickly suspected the family of the late George Fitzhugh, whose estate Homer G. Phillips defended for Fitzhugh's daughter from a counterclaim…Allegedly Fitzhugh’s family were irate over the lawyer fee and Homer G. Phillips’ refusal to release the settlement from escrow…

 

 

St. Louis police arrested George Fitzhugh's grandson, George McFarland, 18, and his friend, Augustus Brooks, 19…They were charged with murder…McFarland and Brooks were both acquitted in separate trials in 1932…One witness disappeared while another one had suffered a nervous breakdown…The case remains unsolved to this day…

 

Thousands jammed the old St. Paul AME Church for Homer G. Phillips' home going…Feeling the zeitgeist or spirit of the time, the St. Louis Board of Aldermen swiftly voted to name the new black hospital in Phillips’ memory and honor….

 

Although the man was gone his legacy lived and thrived…His namesake, Homer G. Phillips Hospital, which opened in 1937, by 1961 had trained more Black doctors and nurses than any place in the world...By 1948, its medical residents included more than one third of all graduates from the two American black medical schools, and in the 1940s and 1950s it was a leader in developing the practice of intravenous feeding and treatments for gunshot wounds, ulcers, and burns. Not only did it house a nursing school, but also schools for training x-ray technicians, laboratory technicians and medical record-keeping…It also began offering training and work to foreign doctors who were being denied by other hospitals because of their race...

 

***Special Thanks To Sis. Annetta Vickers-Bentil For The Use Of My Interview Footage From The Salon 53 2-5-Oh Exhibit Opening Reception 2/22/2014.***

Item Added.
Adding Item.